Crimes against Culture

A place to talk

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Crimes against Culture

Postby Overmind on Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:10 pm

Ministry wrote:Bolt Thrower is one of the oldest (check out that cover art). They go waay back to the days when White Dwarf didn't exclusively cover Warhammer products. While their cd art, album and song titles tended to be Warhammer related, the lyrics were not.

There is another, more modern band that does have warhammer related lyrics like, "MAIM, KILL, BURN!". I can't remember what their name is.

Bolt Thrower...... I had such high hopes for them. Though the lyrics I had were definetly warhammer related..... I can't remember teh album though.

The other one is Debauchery.
"You can please everbody some of the time, and you can please somebody all of the time, but you cannot please everybody all the time."
-Lincoln
So tell everyone to f*** off and do it your way.

"Ceterum censeo Commoragh esse delendam"
Overmind
Carnifex

Postby mudokon100 on Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:28 pm

I think I've jsut been exposed to another crime against culture.

A group came in to school to raise our "awareness about homelessness". Waste of bloody time if you ask me, to have survived till sixth form in our school you need to have a heart of stone-cold lead. Anyway, they started off with a slideshow showing the homeless people making "art" about the issue.
Now, maybe it's just me, but isn't art supoosed to show at least a spark of creativity? From what I could see, they gave them a bunch of pre-printed pictures, some paints, and said "colour it in". And when they proceeded to mass-produce the results to be stuck around the town centre, they did so in Black and White!!! What the hell!? That's not ART!
The second part of the presentation was a film they had made, about half an hour long. Now while I accept that the objective was to get the subject across first and foremost, they could have at least done it in a way that wasn't nausea inducing. The interviews were PAINFUL to watch - the camera jittered about like it was being held by a 5-year old on a sugar high, somebody was clearly playing with the zoom button the whole way through, and when they finally did keep the camera trained on the interviewees face, they added in stupid effects that made the image flicker like it was damaged. Honestly, it gave me a headache, and that is what I put on the "evaluation form" they gave us to fill in afterwards.
Of course, it didn't help to draw out our sympathy when they put the majority of the film to a hardcore rave theme. I was seriously tempted to raise my hands in the air and start dancing.

Anyway enough ranting, opinions?
Checker: Are you human?
Me: Of course I am!
Checker: *DENIED*
Me: What? Well... how about "Yes"?
Checker: *ACCEPTED*
Me: O.o
mudokon100
Hive Tyrant

Postby Ministry on Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:14 pm

Wall of text in 3... 2... 1...
You want my opinion? Your school is ducked up for exposing you to something like that. It sounds like they were trying waay to hard to make it appealing to the MTV demographic (what with the rave theme and excessive abuse of camera zoom). Based upon this, they were probably way off on their message too.

The real problem with the homeless is that they are not all the same. There are some who have had a hard break in life and are unable to improve their situation, despite their best efforts. Then there are those that simply choose to be homeless, and as much as you can help them, they will always be homeless. It can be very difficult to differentiate the two, as it's almost impossible to track an individuals efforts and people often have to rely upon what they claim they are doing.

Here's a real life example. About 10 years ago, I was part of a small group of people that took it upon ourselves to give a random homeless man a complete chance to turn his life around and become a member of the working class. We found this guy and his story was that his wife left him, took all his money and their kids, and then he hit the bottle pretty hard. It wasn't long before he was sleeping on the streets, and that's where he's been ever since. For the sake of this story, I'll call him "Paul".

So we took Paul and we bought some clothes that he could wear to job interviews. We found a relatively cheap place for him to rent, and we payed for the first month. We also got him to start attending AA meetings twice a week. We basically held his hand for a few weeks until he had landed a job as a custodian at the local airport. We paid for another month's rent, and after he had worked his job for 2 weeks we backed off with the intention to check up on him a couple months later.

At that time, he was not at the apartment. Landlord said he couldn't make rent and he had to evict him. We spent several hours looking for him, and we found him on the street again. Apparently, he quit going to the AA meetings as soon as we stopped watching him. He started showing up late for work, hung-over, so his boss fired him. Without the job, he couldn't pay rent and then he was back where we found him. He told us that he appreciated all of our time, money and effort, but he felt it was wasted on him because he was a "lost cause". He used alcohol to escape from his problems, while the whole time alcohol was his problem. Kinda deep, huh?

So, as you can see, it's not the kind of problem that you can just throw money at to make it go away. In many cases, even if you set them up with an ideal solution to their problem and hold their hand through it, they will revert back to homeless as soon as they are on their own. It is impossible to judge who these people are, and who are the ones that will make good use of an opportunity to turn their lives around. So we continue providing them food, as it's the only way to help them without providing them a means to purchase more drugs and/or alcohol.

However this organization that came to your school probably isn't really concerned about that. They probably think that they are doing something really good for people who need help by raising awareness of their situation. This assumption that you are doing something great for the needy makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Being ignorant to the scale of their complete uselessness allows them to celebrate and bathe in their good emotions, so trying to inform them of it will only make them angry. I find it's best to just ignore them.
Ministry
Mod Team
Mod Team

Postby Taleri on Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:46 am

I don't think that your school accomplished anything useful by showing that to you.

While Ministry gave you an example of his second set of homeless people, allow me to give you an example of the first.

When I was young my uncle managed a convenience store. He managed that place for years and made quite a lot of money doing it. He lived with my grandparents and didn't pay rent, so he never really spent his salary either. He wasn't rich, but he did have a large amount of money saved. He then got married bought a duplex - he lived on one side while he rented out the other- and he had a kid. The chain he worked for eventually folded and my uncle was out of a job. His wife decided to leave him soon after because he couldn't afford to buy her luxury items and a large house in the foothills. She got custody of the kid and, based on what he had been making as a manager, got a rather hefty sum as spousal support and child support. Because of the economy and his depression from the divorce, my uncle had a hard time finding another place to work. He was often told that he was "overqualified." It wasn't long before he lost everything, even visitation rights to see his kid, mainly due to the outrageous amount he was ordered to pay his ex and his inability to pay it.

My uncle then came to live with us. He slept on my parent's couch for 6 years. He did eventually get another job, but his entire paycheck was garnished to pay the child support and spousal support that had been mandated by the court. I think at one point he tried to get the amount adjusted to better fit his new financial circumstances, but was denied. He felt stuck as he was actually better off not working or working "under the table", than working and having his pay taken. I'm not entirely sure where my uncle is right now. He moved in with some friends a few years ago and we lost track of him. Wherever he is, I hope that he is ok.
Taleri
Gaunt

Postby mudokon100 on Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:30 pm

That was something I picked up on during the video. Here's a short clip, not word for word (my memory's notthat good), but it basically ran like this:
Narrator: These teenagers are being kicked out of their homes, due to breakdowns in relationships. This is happening to them at no fault of their own.
*Que interview with girl*
Girl: Yeah, for me what it was, was like, I was getting into fights with my mum. I was taking drugs like, and always drinking alcohol, and eventually she just like had enough and told me to come back when I got me life sorted out.

*RRRRAAAAAAGGGGGGEEEEE AT THE STUPIDITY*
mudokon100
Hive Tyrant

Postby Ministry on Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:52 pm

That is a good example Taleri. I feel very sorry for your uncle's misfortune, and pissed about a judicial system that could put someone in that kind of situation.

However I think I would place his case in the 2nd category. I don't mean to imply that he is at all like the alcoholic that would neglect his chance to restore his life. But it's kind of a similar situation in that as much as anyone could help him to have a place to stay and to get a stable job, it will not do him any good. It would require action from people with much more power than you or I. You could probably fit the number of people that actually could restore his life into a Honda Civic (and chances are they couldn't care less).

I was getting into fights with my mum. I was taking drugs like, and always drinking alcohol

Yeah, no fault of their own. I'm sure her mum was cramming those drugs down her throat :roll:
Ministry
Mod Team
Mod Team

Postby mudokon100 on Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:15 am

Yes. There is much idiocy around this subject.
To lighten the mood, I did have another horrible "song" to share, but I can't for the life of me remember the name. Anyway, the problem with it is the singer ending each verse with "ha ha hee hee ha ha ho". What, she can't think of a final line to end the fricking verse!? Needless to say, she (whoever she is, lol), has been added to my "must be shot" list.
mudokon100
Hive Tyrant

Postby Overmind on Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:33 pm

I've been threatened to be thrown out as well. You know for being gay....

It's not terribly fun.
"You can please everbody some of the time, and you can please somebody all of the time, but you cannot please everybody all the time."
-Lincoln
So tell everyone to f*** off and do it your way.

"Ceterum censeo Commoragh esse delendam"
Overmind
Carnifex

Postby mudokon100 on Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:23 pm

My brother was the same. Luckily for him, he's too useful to simply throw away...

Have you tried... not... being gay?
Only joking. That'd be one of the exceptions, where your parents need to be slapped for being so close-minded.
mudokon100
Hive Tyrant

Postby mooseutoo on Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:19 am

To start off with, I pretty much only joined this site because I read all of this thread and wanted to reply. :-).

Now that that is out of the way, that visit at your school sounds absolutely dreadful. I can't stand serious topics being dummied down into pop culture because it in a way defaces the topics integrity. What you focus on should be about the problem and solution, not about entertaining the audience while your at it (especially if it is done as horribly as it sounds).

Though, the problem of homelessness is much more serious than I used to think. I had spent about a week at a Catholic Worker house, and they ran a soup kitchen for the homeless. I met many people and got to talk with them. One guy had 2 PhDs, and 2 Masters in other areas. This guy was a genius and was not at all hesitant to work, he helped out alot with the kitchen. This man is homeless. He isn't homeless because he drank, he isn't homeless because of other drugs, or gambling. His wife left him with his daughter. Feeling devastated, he moved a little bit closer to his parents where he could have some support and where another job as a professor awaited him. Shortly after his dad died, and his mother moved. Then he was diagnosed with cancer. He used all his sick and vacation days for chemotherapy, but since he had only recently started there, he did not have many, and the health care provided couldn't cover much of the expenses. They fired him because he had to miss too much work due to his illness, and though he got better, the hospital bills dried up all of his savings, and he was left healthy but homeless and in debt. Now he can't get a job anywhere because no schools want a homeless professor, and all other jobs consider him "overqualified" for their jobs. My original thought was that his story was just an extreme case. Sadly, he informed me that there are many more just like him, ruined by illnesses and misfortune.

A study I believe by the Veterans Administration showed that 1 in 3 homeless people are veterans of war in the US. This is due to mental illnesses(PTSD), and severe wounds like missing limbs mainly. When I worked there for only a week I found it obvious that the homeless aren't what they are portrayed as commonly in our society. They aren't lazy (for the most part) or "moochers". They are people doing their best to stay alive, even if only barely. But again there are always the drunk exceptions and the druggy exceptions. But these are not as common through my own experience and the experience of other homeless people.

Now every time I see a homeless person on the streets begging for change, I try and give what I can.
mooseutoo
Spore Mine

PreviousNext

Return to Chat