All creatures great and small (and somewhere in between)

A place to talk

Moderator: Moderators

Re: All creatures great and small (and somewhere in between)

Postby Joehtosis on Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:23 pm

Eh.
I don't really get into investments or insurance at all.
The only insurance I'll prolly get is life insurance for a couple years. I'm gonna have a few savings accounts.. Pretty much my own self ran insurance policies lol. *Doesn't like the whole, giving someone my money so they can give it back to me later*

And as for the pet insurance, I don't think I'd need it if it only costs a couple hundred or something per check up.
I was worried this crap might run up to a couple thousand, that's why I was so concerned. I suppose that's if I can find a little clinic around the place though, and not some big ol' corporate pet hospital. >_<
Nothing in the world is impossible.
Get up, what you slowin' down for?
Joehtosis
Genestealer

Postby Harpu on Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:03 pm

My neighbor has a great garden out front of his house. It's especially great because it attracts all sorts of interesting and unique bugs and animals. Check out this pretty little fellow.

http://img21.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=1001178c.jpg - Images are very large....and I don't know the code to put them in the scroll box thing.

There was actually a black one too but I didn't get any good pictures out of my crummy camera to make it worth sharing, but maybe he's in one of the ones I took, hiding somewhere in all the plants.
Harpu

Postby Joehtosis on Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:40 pm

Alright well..
Considering the forum's a little dead again, I thought I'd put this up to see if I can invoke some creative thought out of people

If the human race were to be wiped out or disappear, etc. what animal do you think would rise up to the stage of sentience after us, if any?
You may say chimps but there are plenty of other viable takers out there. And as it's said, it's easy to raise a creature up to the level of clever, but when it comes to questioning it's own life and becoming self aware, it takes a little something more.
One interesting possibility is that the creatures may not even have to be sentient. It could just be a society of animals working together in a giant hive, example: bees and ants. Much like the 'nids I suppose.
Joehtosis
Genestealer

Postby mudokon100 on Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:07 am

I wouldn't really like to guess - the human race is so influential over most of the worlds eco-systems that if we all dissappeared, the whole thing would go to hell for a while.
But I would stick with it being some sort of primate, no other animal has that sort of higher brain function as far as I know.
Checker: Are you human?
Me: Of course I am!
Checker: *DENIED*
Me: What? Well... how about "Yes"?
Checker: *ACCEPTED*
Me: O.o
mudokon100
Hive Tyrant

Postby Joehtosis on Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:55 am

O_o I think if we all disappeared the only thing going to hell would be our cities.
There have been regions which were exposed to nuclear radiation, and the absence of humans for the amount of time waiting for the radiation to dissipate did more to help the wild life than the radiation itself did to harm it.
The only influence we have on our ecosystems are typically negative. As the late George Carlin said, "The planet is fine. The people are fucked."

Also, I'm not saying anything immediate. I'm talking about the general future. Hell, if given enough time and the right opportunities, wolves could rise up to that stage.
Joehtosis
Genestealer

Postby mudokon100 on Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:31 am

You do know how many endangered animals humans are protecting, right? Chances are, tigers, pandas, and several other smaller things which i can't remember off the top of my head would be gone.

And I can't see wolves progressing very far. At least not within the next million(s) years.
mudokon100
Hive Tyrant

Postby Harpu on Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:20 pm

evolution would end up taking place and an entirely new species derived from some creature living now would eventually reach a state of "control" i will call it. Acquiring advanced communication (speech) and a means to work together with others of it's kind to follow in suit of the neanderthalls. That is only option A. Another being capable of mimicking our position and abilities as humans may as well be near impossible. If humans were to die out, then it's possible that the planet would go on with just animals and creatures.
Harpu

Postby mudokon100 on Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:34 pm

I'd say it would most definitely be a predator that would evolve to sentience, if any did. And it would have to be one that hunted fast, agile, and/or defensive prey. Intelligence is no bonus when your prey simply falls over and dies (like a cow) - in that case, bigger would be better than smarter.
mudokon100
Hive Tyrant

Postby Harpu on Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:14 pm

but that can be argued either way. Just look at dinosaurs. T-rex was big and bad. But raptors worked together, making them harder to evade and more effective at killing. Working together requires intelligence. Looking at todays animals, Stuff like wolves would outlive foxes or alligators because they work independantly. It's sticking together that allows animals to survive as well, or at least only lose one in a group rather than many. Cows were domesticated though, and there was a special about what would happen if humans died out on discovery. Domesticated animals would follow shortly because they have never had to defend themselves from predators and so they would eventually die out.

[edit]

But I am not suggesting that said predator would eventually grow or evolve to become capable of doing things remotely close to humans. I do not think that such a drastic evolution would occur, even if they had 1 billion years to do it.
Harpu

Postby need2 on Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:39 am

But you have to ask yourself, for other predators out there, is sentience even needed? For those that believe evolution, the only real reason that Homo Sapiens developed higher intelligence is because our senses and bodies are weaker than most/many other predators. So we needed that extra boost to help us work together and form strategies on how to work together and overcome our obstacles. But all of the other predators out there now are quite successful with their niche. The only reason for a sentient creature to arise and replace us would be if there was a very drastic change that occurred to our planet and environment, or if some new species were to arise and survive long enough among other predators to develop to a point where it could use and need sentience.
Long Live Anth-R'Cair!
need2
Gaunt

PreviousNext

Return to Chat