All creatures great and small (and somewhere in between)

A place to talk

Moderator: Moderators

Re: All creatures great and small (and somewhere in between)

Postby Joehtosis on Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:36 pm

"Just look at the time of the dinosaurs. They had billions of years of evolution to work with, "

Sorry to say, but that's quite a bit off. They had millions. As I said before, complex life has only been around for one billion years. Life as we know it started just below 4 billion years age starting with early bacterial life forms etc. After that it was another billion years for life to undergo evolution to a state where they were able to process light for energy. (Photosynthesis) After that, another billion years for "normal" cells such as amoebas and others to evolve into being, and another billion till they began to form colonies and start working together to form tissues, organs, etc. for ancestors of what we consider common life today (animals, plants, fungi). After that, another billion to get where we are now. Dinosaurs as a branch did reign over a nice long span of a couple hundred million years but in the vast time line of evolution that compares to only a minute. Besides all that, they're not necessarily extinct. We eat them every day. "Mmm, chicken sammich." What we humans have accomplished could be seen as a blink. When you consider everything, evolution seems to have an exponentially increasing rate of progress. It's not as slow as you may think, in fact life for Earth isn't even that old when you consider how old the solar system itself is.

To say intelligent life could never rise again is, as I said, a bit cruel. Life managed to make a comeback after several mass extinctions, I'm sure it has plenty more up it's sleeve. As for how long this takes, or if it will ever happen again, is not necessarily debatable. It's based on a factor of chaos, it could happen randomly at any time and there's no way to predict it. It could happen, but maybe it won't. I simply want to know what people think may be the best contenders. :P And remember, the truth is often stranger than fiction. I remember seeing a documentary on one of the educational programs (I forget which) where they took humans out of the Earth and simply made guesses as to how life would develop. Billions of years down the road, supposedly squid could become terrestrial and begin their leap to intelligent life. Will this happen? Probably not. The probability of anything happening is so slim because there are so many avenues of which evolution may see fit to travel down.

As for this conversation on pit bulls, genetically yes, they are a bit aggressive. But so are Dobermans, German Shepherds, etc. Like Hivetyrant said, it's really up to the owner. If you're not ready to own a dog, don't buy one. Something I tried telling my mom before she got her golden retriever, now the poor thing's locked in the basement because she can't deal with it's energy and behavior. (It's just barely a puppy, I mean come on.) Honestly I think you should have a license just to own one. People often get in over their heads when they pick up a responsibility.
Last edited by Joehtosis on Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nothing in the world is impossible.
Get up, what you slowin' down for?
Joehtosis
Genestealer

Postby Taleri on Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:37 am

Mudo, I'm afraid I have to disagree with you. I have yet to find a pit, abused or not, that was "genetically bad". Aggressive yes, over-protective yes, but not BAD. There are too many misconceptions about pits which is rather frustrating to deal with so I'm not going to open that pandora's box. I can tell you that it is their trait of wanting to please their owner that tends to land pits in trouble. One thing to keep in mind is that a breed may be outlawed in an area for any number of ridiculous reasons. This does not make that breed a "bad" breed. Taleri, as a pembroke welsh corgi, is banned in Italy as a "dangerous breed." The logic of that particular piece of legislation baffles me.

http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findpit.html

http://www.pawprintz.org/id160.html (reprinted from an article on Yahoo news, April 2005)
Taleri
Gaunt

Postby Joehtosis on Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:23 am

Doggy problems.
So my mom's golden retriever has been acting up again and she's considering just giving him away.
He seems to have grown a taste for walls and patios. Guy's got a nasty habit of chewing up structures. I looked it up, and it turns out it's a normal process growing puppies go throw after their permanent teeth come in and it helps them set the teeth in their jaws.

My question is, is there anything to give them that may make them stop chewing things of value?
I told my mom to go out and find a stick or even a big brick he can gnaw on (lol) but I doubt those would keep his interest since he seems to ignore most of the toys she gives them.
Any halp?
Joehtosis
Genestealer

Postby Ministry on Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:23 am

Has she tried any kind of flavored chew toy? They have all kinds of hard, flavored chew toys that are meant to last for a long time (depending on size and agression of the dog). As it is portable and (probably) tastes better than the wall, the dog might prefer it instead.

Be sure that she presents it to the dog in a similar manner as a treat for good behavior. Or that she uses it to play with the dog (such as a little tug-of-war). These things will maximize the dogs interest in it. If she just drops it in front of the animal and expects the dog to dig right in, it will probably not work.
Ministry
Mod Team
Mod Team

Postby Harpu on Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:29 am

I would avoid the brick substances or plaster of your walls (or wallpaper, whatever you have) because while your dog is doing what comes natural, they will eat pieces of things they break, you have to pay attention to what your dog is chewing. I'd say buy a bone at your local pet store. I don't mean a chewey bone but a long lasting bone.

A second suggestion for your mom, though this might not work out well ;) , tell her to play with the dog more often. A golden retreiver is a working dog, and like my puppy german shepherd, needs to do something. They get bored, and that is not good for social behaivour and other things in a dogs life. Keeping it interested with play will stop the chewing a good bit to, because he will be playing at first, and then resting. not wanting to chew.

You can also try teaching them a task. I've been working on stay and boundaries for outside with my dog. like I said, you and I have working dogs, not lap dogs. If they have a *job* to do, then that will keep their minds active and keep them happy. They want to please us.

If you want your dog to stop chewing certain things, some may criticize me on this but a decent (not hard at all....but not light.) smack on the nose and saying no! really loud while pointing at what he's chewing. Doing that a few times and they will learn not to chew that. Not a few times in a row mind you, just every time you catch them doing it.
Harpu

Postby Ministry on Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:42 am

I'll back you up on that. It's a grey line between discipline and abuse, but as Harpu said, you don't need to damage the dog to let it know that 1, you are in charge; and 2, there are immediate unpleasant consequences for this specific action.

A lot of positive reinforcement with a little disciplinary reinforcement will work wonders for most any dog.

And Harpu is right about keeping the dog busy and played with. Even just chasing a tennis ball for 15 minutes will let the dog burn a lot of pent-up energy that it would otherwise be using to chew up the house. If your mom does not have enough time to give the dog the amount of attention it needs, then yes she should give it away to someone who can.
Ministry
Mod Team
Mod Team

Postby Hivetyrant765 on Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:48 am

get the dog a bone and some toys. play with it. take it out for runs (as walks dont really tire them out). also, teach it not to eat those things like ministry said.

training a dog really isnt that hard. its certainly easier than taking care of a baby...

alternatively, send the dog to me. i'll train it. granted, you might not get the dog back. i love golden retrievers :lol:
Hivetyrant765
Genestealer

Postby Joehtosis on Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:52 am

Hmm..
My mom pretty much does the opposite of all that's recommended here. I even told her to play with him, because every time I come over to visit he's got so much energy and just about tackles everyone he sees.
Whenever I'm around I try to play with him as much as I can, but alas I'm only there maybe once every month or so.
My mother's a bit of a lazy person. =/ Well, not lazy, but when she comes home from work the last thing she wants to be bothered with is something else to take care of. (.. Why she got the dog I have no idea. -_-)
As soon as I get packed up and my place has a sale I'll be sure to keep the dog much more tired, but for now I'm a bit powerless over things to do, other than telling her what she should or shouldn't do.
As for punishments.. I think my mom might be a bit harsher than that. She tends to yell at him whenever he does something wrong or give him a good smack somewhere on his body.
He tends to curl into the corner whenever she gets near, (probably sensing he did something wrong again).... Is this going to lead to serious future problems?
Joehtosis
Genestealer

Postby Joehtosis on Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:54 am

Hivetyrant765 wrote:alternatively, send the dog to me. i'll train it. granted, you might not get the dog back. i love golden retrievers :lol:

If you lived within the region, I'd definitely consider it.
I'd like to wait till I'm there so I can take care of the dog properly myself, but I don't know when that will be, and I'd hate to see him have mental problems from being treated like this.
Joehtosis
Genestealer

Postby mudokon100 on Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:30 am

Joehtosis wrote:He tends to curl into the corner whenever she gets near, (probably sensing he did something wrong again).... Is this going to lead to serious future problems?

This is VERY bad. I tend to smack my animals about a bit whenever they do something wrong, but I've never actually gotten them scared of me. While it is good in a domination view, the dog doing this means 2 things:
1) She has only been paying attention to it when it does something wrong, hence whenever she does pay attention to it now, it assumes it has done so.
2) This will more than likely, in the future, lead to the dog behaving badly simply to get attention.
This should be "curable" if she spends more time playing with and praising him. Teaching him tricks for rewards is always a solid bet. But if he is literally running away from her already, my pessimistic side is saying it may already be too late. But don't give up hope just yet - if he's more "backing down" than actually running away, he's probably just being submissive, which in a way is a good thing. But as I said, discipline and reward go hand-in-hand.
Checker: Are you human?
Me: Of course I am!
Checker: *DENIED*
Me: What? Well... how about "Yes"?
Checker: *ACCEPTED*
Me: O.o
mudokon100
Hive Tyrant

PreviousNext

Return to Chat