All creatures great and small (and somewhere in between)

A place to talk

Moderator: Moderators

Re: All creatures great and small (and somewhere in between)

Postby Krishach on Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:09 pm

dogs have genuine signs of submission, as opposed to being nervous or easily scared. Flinching, running from a source of noise or visual problems, even crouching down if it comes near, are not necessarily signs of an abusive owner. My own dog does this, and I cannot for the life of me figure out why. We don't corporeally punish the dog; not even with a newspaper or a spray bottle. Yet she'll flinch and retreat if a plastic grocery bag (empty) floats to the floor near her. Big indicator is that they LOOK at the threat instead of avoiding eye contact. See below.

The submission signs are a little different. Turning their head down or to the side as a way to refuse to make eye contact: this is a sign of pack submission. Hiding their tail, like putting it between their legs if they don't normally do so, is also a submission sign. These against someone who does not own the dog are a fairly sure sign that said person hit the animal. Against an owner who is not displeased with the dog it may also signal cruelty.

Against an owner who is saying things like "bad dog!" it is likely simply a normal reaction and not so much an abuse sign.
ImageImageImage
Krishach
Mod Team
Mod Team

Postby Harpu on Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:10 pm

I agree with krishach, it isn't that bad of a sign depending... My dog has had one accident and we scolded her for it. The tail went down and she went to hide in the corner of our dining room out of fear. The actions your describing are pretty normal for getting yelled at.

Now as for a constant avoidance like your saying, it can always be mended but some steps are necessary. Your mom should try to coax the dog to come to her first of all, rather than forcing herself towards it. If she offers a treat from a small distance and says come, then give praise for the dog doing so if he does, which will help slowly but surely in rebuilding trust. Now she has to not scold the dog if it doesn't come to her at first, thats no reason to be angry with the dog.

It sounds like your mom has made her alpha and dominant self apparent. However, if it's so apparent then the dog will avoid her. If dogs are in a group, and one is overly dominant of another, and doesn't like them. Then the one that submitted, will not ask to play with the dominant one, or share food with the dominant one, and will avoid said dominant one. Your mom may be reaching such a level that your dog doesn't feel safe because constantly getting yelled at, like mudo said means the dog is thinking...i'm not doing anything right.

Maybe you should check up on her just one day and see if you can catch her on how she is actually disciplining the dog, and suggest to her if it's to much or if she just isn't using enough positive reinforcement.
Harpu

Postby Harpu on Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:45 pm

Sorry for the double post, but I came across an interesting news article. It turns out that Gray Wolf hunts are once again legal in the northern rockies. From the sounds of it, it is a very temporary ruling. Only 20% or so wolves out of a population count of approx. 1,350 total in two states are legally allowed to be hunted. As of Sept 1st, the wolf hunting season was opened in Idaho, and on the 15th, in Montana.

So if your a hunter, now is your chance to take out such a prize*. Though personally, I feel there still isn't a large enough population to warrent this small hunt.

Discuss.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32757255/ns ... vironment/
Harpu

Postby mudokon100 on Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:00 pm

Can we at least keep the pups as pets?

Wolves fall under my "cute and fluffy" category - hence, I do not support this. But hey, I don't live in america, so what can I do ^^; Speaking of this sort of thing, I really should check on the status of fox hunting laws over here. Although they also fall under C&F, I've never bothered saying anything against or for the ban owing to fox-hunting being a very traditional thing over here.
Checker: Are you human?
Me: Of course I am!
Checker: *DENIED*
Me: What? Well... how about "Yes"?
Checker: *ACCEPTED*
Me: O.o
mudokon100
Hive Tyrant

Postby Joehtosis on Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:38 pm

Sure you can have a pet wolf.
Just be ready when it pounces up to rip out your trachea lol.

This actually sounds kind of interesting. I haven't heard of any large predator getting hunted for sport in the U.S. since the whole bald eagle endangerment happened. This bids to question what they'll be doing with the bodies...

I think I'll go visit Montana, might get a wolf burger. :lol:
Nothing in the world is impossible.
Get up, what you slowin' down for?
Joehtosis
Genestealer

Postby Ministry on Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:30 pm

Bears have been hunted off and on for a long time in the US. It all depends on wether conservationism or preservationism is in power over a given area.
Ministry
Mod Team
Mod Team

Postby Joehtosis on Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:55 am

Dog questions again...

So I've been spending more time with muh doggeh and I've discovered something.

The bastard is EXTREMELY frisky. :lol: Every time I try play wrestling with him it turns into a potential rape scene. I'm imagining this is something he'll either grow out of or have to get fixed for... But I was wondering if anyone else has more experience with the issue? xD (He seems to be partial to men.. Ohhh we have a gay lil doggy. Lmao)

One thing that's a bit less humorous, is that I'm kind of finding myself to be a bit afraid of him. It's not the playing that gets me, it's the "love bites". It freaks me the hell out. I've always been afraid of dogs since I was a little kid, our old golden retriever never liked me. :/ I sort of overcame it these last few years but this love bite thing is becoming a little unsettling. Any suggestions to make him stop or how to just get used to it?
Joehtosis
Genestealer

Postby Harpu on Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:07 pm

The love bites are actually a gnawing habit that you teach your dog to stop doing, for various reasons such as biting guests. My dog still does the same thing, she loves to bite, and we yell at her every time. She still hasn't gotten the idea through her head yet. You shouldn't worry to much about it though. I have a great example for you, it happened just last night. I was playing with roxy (her name, and i'm tired of typing my dog :) ) and she bite me to the point that she got a little bit of skin off of my hand. I yelled at her and showed her, and she stopped immediately and put her ears down and I held it up to her and she decided to lick my hand. Your dog does not want to hurt you at all, the biting is a habit/form of play and it should be broken the same way you train any trick to a dog. Repeatedly tell him no. Hopefully my dog will stop before thanksgiving.

As for the potential rape scene, dogs don't do that. Nature's creatures are truly gods creations, in the sense that they want to procreate. Animals aren't interested in the other gender, unless someone can bring me proof to change my mind, it has never happened. Probably because if such a relationship did exist, animals have no way to show it like humans, so two males or females would just look like friends. Anyway, It is known and I have personally had one of my relatives dogs, a boy, attempt to hump my leg. They get horny like any guy and if you make them frisky, they get the wrong idea and want to get it out of their system. It doesn't make them gay, dogs just aren't bashful in the least when it comes to that. However, that is all I can help you out with, because I have never had a male dog, so I do not know how to get them to stop acting like that.
Harpu

Postby Emperor of Mankind on Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:49 pm

I love cats(have 2, Penny and Dom) I'm ok with dogs, and I don't like Spiders(though I looking at them through a picture or something, but up close and personal, no way)
Emperor of Mankind
Spore Mine

Postby Joehtosis on Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:25 am

Well.. I was joking about the whole rape scene thing lol. I have no wish to.. "ungay" him(?...) just askin for some advice to get him to stop so I don't have to deal with this when I take him for a walk lol. And I'm not provoking him in any way, he just bursts right out of the room when I open the door and starts humpin away.. Lmao. The only reason I call him gay is he seems to absolutely refuse doing this with girls, (at least of the human persuasion) while when a man comes up to him, (me, my step father, etc.) he just goes at it.
Animals aren't interested in the other gender, unless someone can bring me proof to change my mind
Uh.. I guess you mean aren't interested in the same gender?
As for proof of homosexual animals; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_an ... l_behavior
Wasn't too hard to find lol. If it's truly what we would consider "homosexual" in that they have a preference for the same sex or if it happens accidentally is up for debate, but it does happen. I think Bonobos themselves are quite partial to bisexuality since sex in itself for them is a way of communicating. (Of course I could be wrong.. Not sure about this.)

Either way, thanks for the advice about the biting.
Joehtosis
Genestealer

PreviousNext

Return to Chat