All creatures great and small (and somewhere in between)

A place to talk

Moderator: Moderators

All creatures great and small (and somewhere in between)

Postby mudokon100 on Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:17 am

We all know tyranids are cute and cuddly, and just want a hug.
But what about RL? What animals can peeps tolerate, find loveable, or flat out despise?
And what of those animals do people keep as pets?

Myself, I love just about anything with fur or scales. And amphibians.
That's not to say I hate everything else - I'm somewhat fascinated by a lot of insects and similar invertabrates, and all those wierd little creatures that swim about the ocean.
I HATE no animal. Sure, I'm somewhat edgy around tarantulas, would never jump into a pool of tiger sharks, and have no wish to try to pick up a scorpion. But that's not to say I don't find them interesting. And it's not that I'm afraid they'll hurt and/or kill me (well, I supoose it is), 'cos I'd be quite willing to pet a rattlesnake. Does anyone know what it could be then, that makes me so averted to these specific animals?

And in case anyone's interested, this thread is the result of me catching a Common Frog (Yep, that's what they're called) on our driveway, and it's been sat behind me, staring vindictively at me from behind its new glass home. I'm cruel sometimes ^^; Once I can get it some food though, I'm sure it'll be happy enough.
Checker: Are you human?
Me: Of course I am!
Checker: *DENIED*
Me: What? Well... how about "Yes"?
Checker: *ACCEPTED*
Me: O.o
mudokon100
Hive Tyrant

Re: All creatures great and small (and somewhere in between)

Postby Immort_Reaper on Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:47 am

I love insects/arachnids/other 'creepy crawlies'. I don't know why, as most people are terrified by them, but I'm just fascinated by them. I have held tarantulas, scorpions, and many other creatures that most people wouldn't touch with a barge pole. However, I'm only scared by one thing - cockroaches. Personally I'm terrified by them; I don't know why though.
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm.
Immort_Reaper
Warrior

Postby Harpu on Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:58 pm

I am most fascinated with birds. They look really cool, and I like many others am jealous that I myself can not fly of my own will. (Not requiring a plane) I am not afraid of any creature that I have come in contact with so far but i'll admit I rather avoid touching a cockroach because it gives me a chill down my spine. I've held them before to, so I can't say i'm afraid of them but perhaps a little scared for whatever reason.
Harpu

Postby Jazzey on Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:12 pm

I love all marine animals, like most I'm fascinated by the larger ones, sharks, rays, moral eels and such. This started when I swam with reef sharks and the age of 12, then a suprising encounter with a 6 ft Giant Moray Eel while messing around in the Red Sea. I was also the youngest person to go Great White cage diving in Gansbaai, South Africa at the age of 15. <3 Yes I'm very proud of that, since it was my decision too. I took the photo in my avatar at that time.
Jazzey
Spore Mine

Postby need2 on Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:01 am

Reptiles FTW. Lizards especially. I cannot properly express how much I want a Frilled Lizard, as well as a Komodo Dragon that I can take on walks with me around the University XD
Long Live Anth-R'Cair!
need2
Gaunt

Postby mudokon100 on Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:18 am

You do realise a komodo dragon would kill people, right? Besides, reptiles are a bitch to keep as pets. I know, I tried. My god-brother (i'm sure you can imagine why I refer to him as that) was an incredible keeper though, and had a converted shed full of herptiles. He let me hold his monitor lizard once and it hadnt been de-clawed O.o

@ Harpu: I like birds too. I wish I was a bird.

Now I really must see about feeding this frog. And the tank is in direct sunlight, and filling with steam... is that a bad thing? :lol: Frog seems happy enough. It jsut goes underwater when it's too hot.
Edit: Just rearranged its rocks to give it a bit of shade. I don't think it's scared of me any more - it sat in my hand and didnt jump at all, even when I put it back down it calmly crawled off my hand onto the rock. And the water is quite cool so... no problems there.
Heh, I can see this thread turning into a "Mudo's frog diary".
mudokon100
Hive Tyrant

Postby Daz on Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:16 am

mudokon100 wrote: "Mudo's frog diary".

Goo oon, sounds fascinating.
Fethin hell, you whippersnappers know where my car is parked?
Daz
Gaunt

Postby mudokon100 on Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:14 am

Lol. If you must know, I've just cleaned out the tank (which was NOT prepared beforehand, so it still had somewhat stagnant water in and the top was encrusted with dried algae. I'm pretty certain there is still a large colony of snails in there. *Checks* Yes. There are. I hope he doesnt eat them.
Also, I've put out some honey and syrup to try to attract some insects. I'm not sure how successful it'll be at this time of year and climate, but it's the best shot at getting him some food.
mudokon100
Hive Tyrant

Postby need2 on Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:53 pm

The Komodo Dragon would only kill people if not raised from a hatchling. If you get a hold of them early enough, they don't get a chance to build up that nasty bacteria cocktail in their mouths. So then they would only terribly maim XD

I'm certainly not going to say that lizards are the brightest in the kingdom, but you would be surprised by how tame they can get towards you. I converted my Alligator Lizard from a wild animal to a chum that comes out to say hi whenever I come into the room, and eats straight out of my hand.

Froggie advise: *grabs his 'phibian book* Hmm, no 'Common Frog' listing... pictures and region of the world that you are in would help a little. Regardless-
Crickets from your local pet store are cheap and loved by most carnivorous amphibians and reptiles. Also, a leafy/mossy base for the cage would most likely be good. And depending on where you are, relying on sunlight for the light source for over or under exposure reasons. While you are at the pet store you may want to look for a UV bulb, and one with enough wattage to create a gentle summer environment for where you live. That's all I've got atm, hope that helps.
Long Live Anth-R'Cair!
need2
Gaunt

Postby mudokon100 on Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:39 pm

It's k need2, I've kept herptiles before, I know what they need, but this was unplanned and captured from the wild so nothing was prepared for it. The little tank it's in now does not have "bulb room" and is proving difficult to drain further... It's appreciated advice none-the-less :) You won't find listings for it anywhere, they are illegal to sell. But not to keep... apparently. *Shrug* I'm not mistreating it anyway so I see no problem ^^
mudokon100
Hive Tyrant

Next

Return to Chat