Piggy Sniffles

A place to talk

Moderator: Moderators

Piggy Sniffles

Postby mudokon100 on Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:05 pm

Okay... so this swine flu... anyone on hear gone hypercondriac, or are we at least of enough intelligence to realise the media is blowing this thing outof proportion and messing things up for us all?
Checker: Are you human?
Me: Of course I am!
Checker: *DENIED*
Me: What? Well... how about "Yes"?
Checker: *ACCEPTED*
Me: O.o
mudokon100
Hive Tyrant

Re: Piggy Sniffles

Postby Immort_Reaper on Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:47 pm

*sneezes*

OH SHIT I'M GOING TO DIE!!11!!!!11one!eleven

But no, everyone at my school is ridiculing it, because of the whole bird flu thing.
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm.
Immort_Reaper
Warrior

Postby Harpu on Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:55 pm

Try not to make too much fun of it. A child in America has died from it, as well as 130 some Mexicans. So it's not something to take too lightly.
Harpu

Postby Ministry on Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:59 pm

I've been sick lately, but I know it's not Swine Flu. I didn't need a doctor to tell me, it's just that I'm not even running a temperature or anything. Just a head cold.

The only media I've heard is that the US is preparing for the worst, just in case it starts to get out of control. They also highly recommend avoiding Mexico, as most people that have it had recently visited that country. I also heard that they are not exactly sure how it is transmitted.

So I don't think the media is blowing it out of proportion because, as far as I've seen, they're only reporting the facts. Are the authorities blowing it out of proportion? I don't think so. It's always better to be prepared.
Ministry
Mod Team
Mod Team

Postby Immort_Reaper on Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:00 pm

But Mexicans died...

If you compare the death toll in MEDCs to those in LEDCs, there's a substantial gap. I, being in an MEDC, feel fairly complacent. I may be wrong to feel so safe, but as of so far I have no reason to be afraid.
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm.
Immort_Reaper
Warrior

Postby ComradeChernobyl on Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:18 am

Remember. The key word here is "flu". You're only really in danger if you have any of the following- a) a compromised immune system, b) are a vulnerable young baby, or c) are a frail old person (key word being frail). This is worth keeping an eye on- and wash your hands!
This is my signature. It is not funny, witty, depressing, inflamatory, or any of that clver stuff. Instead, its purpose is to control your life for a few brief, fleeting seconds as you read through it.
ComradeChernobyl
Hormagaunt

Postby Dragoon321 on Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:39 am

Actually, the H1N1 virus is rather unique in that it is just as dangerous for healthy individuals as it is for ones with weak immune systems or physically frail ones.

It is suppose to have a rather good chance of causing a cytokine storm in anyone with a healthy immune system that gets infected. Cytokine storm is highly lethal (up around 70-80%), more so then the other symptoms of the virus put together. Ironically, this can only occur in people who's immune systems are in top form. In other words, the virus is dangerous to anyone regardless of age or health. A 80 year old with a poor immune system could die from the flu like symptoms, a healthy 20 year could easily die from the cytokine storm.

So far the majority of the deaths are reportedly (clear information seems to be sketchy at best) young, healthy adults and not young or old people who have immune systems that are weak. Right now this appears to be a strain similar to the 1918 pandemic flu virus and that one killed more healthy adults in their twenties and thirties then it did of any other age group.

That said cytokine storm is rare for the most part. You can actaully get it from several types of flus, bronchitis, and pneumonia, but it hardly ever happens even in severe cases. The only virus that causes it at high rates is H5N1, which in retrospect might not bode well given the similarity. This thing is defiantly not something to take lightly even if you are in perfect physical health.

I am personally just hoping for a vaccine very, very quickly before it gets out of control.
Last edited by Dragoon321 on Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dragoon321
Ripper

Postby Overmind on Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:40 am

Yeah we're keeping our eyse peeled at the home(I'm a CNA), and they did warm me that I could ahve a higher risk of catching it working where I did.
"You can please everbody some of the time, and you can please somebody all of the time, but you cannot please everybody all the time."
-Lincoln
So tell everyone to f*** off and do it your way.

"Ceterum censeo Commoragh esse delendam"
Overmind
Carnifex

Postby Son_of_Foamy on Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:59 am

My friend's little sister gives me this paranoid, horrified look every time I cough around her, so I've taken to making an 'oink' noise when I cough just to screw with her :P

Honestly, I have enough krap wrong with me to play the hypochondriac about that worrying about swine flu would just overload it. Besides, I get the flu this time every year anyway and I'm almost over it. I'm not overconfident in thinking I won't get it, just confident in that I don't knowingly put myself at risk.
Current S_o_F Mood: Feelin' Strangely Fine

Chief follower of the Church of the Lord's Pantaloons
"And 'lo, she did kneel and gaze upon the Lord, and He did grace her with his favour'
Son_of_Foamy
Mod Team
Mod Team

Postby Harpu on Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:47 pm

Do you guys think that over this summer the strand will evolve and come back stronger during the fall? I was told by my teachers a month back that a lot of flues follow that pattern.
Harpu

Next

Return to Chat