Nid Mod Forum SS Tournament (cancelled: lack of activity)

A place to talk

Moderator: Moderators

Nid Mod Forum SS Tournament (cancelled: lack of activity)

Postby Harpu on Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:19 am

Version: SS 1.2

Rules

This is a best of 3, choose your own race tournament. You are allowed to switch your race as many times as you want in the tournament and as many times as you want during your rounds. (So you can play a maximum of 3 races per round) The first game of each set of 3 is played on a predetermined map for consistency. After the first game, the loser decides which 2P map to play on for each consecutive round. Only 2P maps are acceptable. While there are no time limits for the players to have their games, we want to keep this tournament progressing. If players are consistently unable to play games for days, they may be eliminated automatically over the player who could make time for their matches. All games are to be played with the annihilation, control area, and take and hold victory rules. When a round is finished, both players must save the replay of the game, decide amongst yourselves who will submit it to me. You can send it to my pm or email which is dominator1000@aol.com (upload the replay using whatever method you prefer, they are less than a meg so everyone can upload them somewhere) Email may be preferred because you can simply put the replay as an attachment. Title it appropriately or I will just trash it.

Video Links

I will be recording the games for everyones viewing pleasure so if you would like to keep up with the tournament, you can check here as I will emb the most recent ones. All of the videos will be posted on my youtube profile which you can check out here

http://www.youtube.com/user/skipperthetripper

Yes you may use this thread to talk about anything you want relating to the tournament.
Harpu

Re: How about we have a DoW SS tournament?

Postby Joehtosis on Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:24 am

I wouldn't mind trying it out. It's a nice idea.

Would there be a set level of skill one should be at? >_>
Nothing in the world is impossible.
Get up, what you slowin' down for?
Joehtosis
Genestealer

Postby Joey625 on Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:57 am

Well if i got enough free time I'll play in this it just depends when it stars
My Dawn of War username is Joey62591 if anyone wants to hit me up for a game
Joey625
Broodlord

Postby Harpu on Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:46 pm

Anyone can play, and I would pull the names randomly so any skill level works and only luck would decide if you have an even match or get destroyed :)

[edit]

I have gotten some interest in the idea.

Including myself and you two Joe's, old members who I am in touch with at other forums are also interested which include Overmind, ZombieDragon201, Anakha, and possibly Zander. Hopefully more people would like to participate and we can maybe get something started around christmas.
Harpu

Postby Warlord Kentax on Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:55 am

I would let my LAN group participate, but since all of my computers use the same CD key the only way to play is LAN. I would do Hamachi so we could LAN over the internet, but whenever I try to LAN my soul storm tyranid mod it crashes.
Warlord Kentax
Mod Team
Mod Team

Postby Harpu on Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:06 pm

I am willing to play test that with you because I use hamachi but I don't know if everyone else would want to download the program just so they could play you if they are your or your friends opponent on the bracket. :(

That is not a problem though! An alternative would be for you guys to just take turns when doing your games. This is not a serious tournament from some big website or group with time constraints. So everyone doesn't have to be online around 9:00 Central time on a saturday morning but when it's game day on a saturday or sunday, everyone should get on and have their rounds sometime saturday when they both agreed to making it. So there shouldn't be an issue there ;-)

Speaking of match ups, it would be getting as far in the tournament as is possible in a day. So if people have a lot of time to spare and everyone was to get on around the same time and play their 2 or 3 rounds, They would just have to wait for everyone elses first best of 3 game to finish and for me to update the brackets. Then everyone is free to play their second match ups games when they can.
Harpu

Postby corncobman on Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:23 pm

What happened to this idea?

A couple of things I thought would be quite useful

It would be be good to specify a program to use for communication like msn/irc or similar, it would aid organisation I think.

It might also be to be a good idea to draw up a set of rules for maps and units and similar, relating to certain bugs and things that still exist in the game. For example a few of the things that Vaul specified for the Random Invitation tournament was to force the Infiltration research for Eldar only after getting the Soul Shrine against SM, no abusing the Deceiver to take control of the Ethereal to take advantage of the massive health increase bug and to limit Rhinos for Sisters of Battle to 6 since the patch inadvertently removed the hard cap that was previously placed.
corncobman
Ripper

Postby Harpu on Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:41 pm

Nothing happened to this, it is definetely still in the planning stages. Kentax hasn't gotten back to me so I do not know about him but we have around 7 people who will participate as of now, and hopefully many more people will want to play (Just say so on this thread guys! Don't be shy, most of us aren't experts or anything.)

Thats a good idea to put people on the honor roll to avoid certain game bugs that would break a match, unfortunately I am not familiar with what those are for version 1.2 of SS. If there was a website that had a lot of them listed that you could link to me, that would be great. I must say that the sister rhino tank spam doesn't bother me to much, the opponent facing that choice of tactic should be able to come up with a way to counter tanks, and spending 100 and some req and power on a bunch of rhino's that go down somewhat fast kills the sisters resources which could be spent on reinforcing. I see it as a fine trade off and not a huge problem. That deceiver trick sounds like a pretty big deal though, I had no idea about that. However the eldar thing is ridiculous just because space marines can easily produce skull probes for very little and have them scout. It's in the game because that's how they are meant to detect, I don't have any problems with SS's infiltration system, I find it fairly balanced as is.

As far as communicating goes, this thread works. If this got underway, I would make a new thread which would be locked and just have the information, brackets, standings, replays, etc. So people are free to chat here and when they have a game, whatever works best to get in touch with their opponents is fine with me. Some people have MSN, AIM, Skype, and people dont like to download programs they will only use once or twice (I know I don't) So sharing emails with each other would work best.
Harpu

Postby corncobman on Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:46 pm

There is a bug list for Soulstorm but it hasn't been updated for the 1.2 patch. I think the major ones have been mentioned, apart from the Sisters of Battle Veteran Superior ability timer reset bug and the infinite Monolith Illusions.

I might be able to play at weekends.
corncobman
Ripper

Postby Harpu on Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:45 am

weekends will most likely be the play dates. I beleive the monolith clone thing was fixed in 1.2 I know that the infinite health monolith clone (when you delete the clone) was fixed.
Harpu

Next

Return to Chat