*cough*splutter*

A cornucopia of tabletop wargaming discussions

Moderator: Moderators

Re: *cough*splutter*

Postby Zaha on Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:11 am

Unlikely. They don't have immunity to instant death now, and they can't be fitted with psychic powers. And since a termagant including Without Number is 4pts (which I think puts them between a fifth and a tenth of the cost of the average kitted out Warrior), it's not cost-effective either.

So you could do it, but it probably wouldn't be worth it.
I am the Border of Kaleidoscopic Logic
Zaha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Harpu on Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:04 pm

Even if they were still resistant to instant death, they are still probably T4 Sv5+ at the basic level, thats a very very feeble stat to be spamming with for its cost.
Harpu

Postby Hivetyrant765 on Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:17 am

true. atleast i know i wont be running a warrior army. ive got too many gaunts (around 50+) to not use them.
Hivetyrant765
Genestealer

Postby Zaha on Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:29 pm

Okay, so my local GW should have its advance copy of the codex in now (it was meant to come in on Boxing Day), so I'm gonna be heading in today to take a looksee, see what stands out, etc.

Most of the stats and whatnot are publicly available now, so in particular I'm gonna be looking at the new psychic powers (Broodlords get two free after all!).

Edit: So apparently it's not in yet, but since it was only junior staff there when I went in I can't be sure.
Zaha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Hivetyrant765 on Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:57 pm

lucky. so when you see it, youre gonna tell us the new powers and what they do, right?
Hivetyrant765
Genestealer

Postby Zaha on Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:02 am

I'll be doing my best, yes.
Zaha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Zaha on Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:17 am

Okay, so I got my hands on the new codex today.

Before I get into psychic powers, let me just say there is a lot in this codex. The independent characters list alone just keeps on going and going. It's very different to the current codex (a lot of the new for-Tyranids rules in our current codex don't seem to exist anymore - Without Number and Living Ammunition, for example, seem to be gone). Currently we're very much swarm or elite. Overwhelm with numbers or focus on the big stompies. This new codex seems to be turning us into a specialty swarm - overwhelming numbers, yes, but a lot of strategic options to play with around that core. For instance, with the loss of Without Number, we get the Tervigon - which is a psychic/Synapse heavy (can be taken as a Troop choice if you have a squad of termagants already) which poops 3D6 termagants a turn. Carnifex are more costly, but they get better Initiative and WS, so it becomes an issue of "power fists? I KILL YOU FIRST!".

Anywho, psychic powers.

The Hive Tyrant seemed to have four - Psychic Scream, The Horror, Life Leech (D3 S8 AP2 attacks - if they wound, the HT regains that number of wounds up to his normal max), and Paroxysm (target drops to BS 1, WS 1 for the turn).

The Tervigon had Domination (extend its Synapse range to 18" for the turn), plus possibly a few others? They didn't stand out.

The Broodlord gets Aura of Despair (-1 Ld for surrounding units?) and I think Hypnotic Gaze (which was something like target creature does nothing for the turn).

The Zoanthrope also now has Warp Blast (same old same old) and Warp Lance (tank-buster version, specific stats elude me).

So pretty much most of the stuff as listed on Warpshadow.

The unique critters (independent characters) list is also pretty interesting. OOE gets a comeback. I didn't spot the Red Terror, but I'm pretty sure it's in there. There's also a unique Zoanthrope, a unique Hive Tyrant, Ymgarl Stealers, the Death Leaper (who apparently goes "You! You now get Ld 1 until I kill you!")...

Also, some odd quirks. Spinefists are better than Fleshborers now - same statline, but Spinies are a twin-linked version. We don't have generic "gaunts" anymore - everything that isn't a Hormie or a Gargoyle is a Termagant, no matter what gun it has. There's a lot of changes in this codex. Old strategies won't port well to the new edition, this is very much a reimaging of the Tyranids from the ground up.
Zaha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Hivetyrant765 on Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:48 am

sounds like its gonna be a good read. cant wait to try out strategies other than the usual "swarm the shit outta them" tactic.

ofcourse, i'll still swarm them. i have 90+ gaunts, and im gonna use them!
Hivetyrant765
Genestealer

Postby Harpu on Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:54 pm

I can't wait to get my hands on the new codex, that sounds like some really good stuff. I'm not sure how I feel about the ability to restore wounds though, with how powerful it is, a Hivetyrant can focus its attention not only on eliminating commander units with that but feeding off of weaker squads. Sounds like taking it out will require all or nothing firepower if it is fielding that ability.
Harpu

Postby Zaha on Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:50 pm

Well there's no such thing as a "light" Hive Tyrant anymore. They've amped it up (both in stats and cost), so it's a bit of an independent character killer regardless of how you kit it out.
Zaha
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Tabletop