Newbie Question

A cornucopia of tabletop wargaming discussions

Moderator: Moderators

Newbie Question

Postby Trakonis on Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:12 pm

Hey people!

I am completely green to the whole Warhammer thing so bear with me here I am just looking for a quick answer to probably a really silly question haha

I recently bought a Tyranid Battleforce and I have a quick question before I start putting them together.

I know there are all kinds of different weapons and biomorphs, so my question is....If I put certain weapons/biomorphs on my models, are those models limited to those pieces I put on? Like if I discover I would rather use scything talons instead of rending claws later on, does it matter whats on the model? or would I have to have different models to switch around strategies/unit costs and such. (keep in mind I haven't even played a game yet, JUST started getting into this)

Thanks for a quick response to this so I can get building :)
Trakonis
Spore Mine

Re: Newbie Question

Postby Ministry on Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:45 am

That is an excellent question. The answer really depends on who you play with.

There is a rule in all Games Workshop games called W.Y.S.I.W.Y.G. (What You See Is What You Get). This is to prevent unpleasant arguments between players because your opponent reasonably assumes that the brood of Warriors are equipped with melee weapons as their models indicate, when they are actually equipped for ranged anti-tank (or vice versa). It also has the added benefit to Games Workshop of encouraging players to buy more minis to cover options.

So there's several ways around this. For one, if you only play casual games with friends then they might be ok with you substituting models in this way. Just make sure you talk to them ahead of time. However if your friends are not real keen on the idea, or if you play more official games and tournaments, then you might want to look into using rare earth magnets. It requires a little more advanced modeling techniques and tools but the results are worth it. Here's a nice vid tutorial here.

But I never used magnets (though I wish I had heard about it back when I was into modeling). I just planned my army REAL careful before I started to make sure I had a balanced force and a few extra units that I could sub in for different situations.
Ministry
Mod Team
Mod Team

Postby Zaha on Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:00 am

Just as a little additional comment, people who use rare earth magnets have said that they're real life savers when new editions come out too. To give an example, the last three editions of Tyranids have had completely different loadout options for you to use on your Carnifex. Last edition had something like 30 different biomorphs and weapons total, and this edition we're down to maybe a quarter of that (which is about what it was the edition before last if memory serves).

So if you're really worried, rare earth magnets are really good for keeping your troops changeable.

Although as Ministry says, generally just having a few units you can swap out to replace ones you already have is enough. And if you're having trouble planning out your army before you stick your models together, do a few practice games with your un-armed (disarmed? :P) models with friends to see what you feel works (tag them so you know which has what though, otherwise you'll get into a world of arguing :lol: ).
I am the Border of Kaleidoscopic Logic
Zaha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby KAL777 on Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:17 am

If all else fails just make a custom arm that looks close enough to two or more different things that you can claim it as either, such as making crushing claws that are extra long so that they look like they could conceivably be scything talons.
K37, Master of the Necron Rush.

The wise man learns from his own mistakes, the lucky man lives through them.

No the world isn't fair.
But that doesn't mean it shouldn't be.
KAL777
Broodlord

Return to Tabletop