Question

Here be mod discussions

Moderator: Moderators

Question

Postby Emperor of Mankind on Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:51 pm

Can I use the Nid models in my mod provided I provide credit to the Nid mod team?

just read the FAQ, I had plans on releasing it publically, it is a "combination" mod, with your permission(and if I can get into the Steel Legion mod forum) I will release all in one.

I have so far these mods permissions:

Firestorm over Kronus

I just need yours, and then I'll go see about the legion.
Emperor of Mankind
Spore Mine

Re: Question

Postby Zaha on Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:40 am

Uhhh... Two things:

1) What is your mod? A "combination mod" can entail a lot of things.

2) We're gonna need some clarification on that first sentence there. By "Nid models" do you mean the animations, or do you mean "use your race as NPCs" or do you mean something else entirely?

We don't mind people creating dependent mods (ie, a mod that also requires our mod to be installed but otherwise doesn't tinker with our mod), but we do take issue with people selectively using parts of our work in their own.
I am the Border of Kaleidoscopic Logic
Zaha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Emperor of Mankind on Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:13 pm

I think I mentioned what a combination mod was

I said I am using FoK(got their permission to use everything)

next(since this forum isn't locked) I figured I'd ask if I could use the whole race of Nids

so with permission from you it will put

Firestorm over Kronus
Tyranids both in the same mod

and IF I can figure out a way to contact the legion, I'd ask them if I could use the legion Guardsmen models(but their forum is locked unfortunately)

I had plans on integrating the whole Tyranid race into my mod(a complete overhaul mod) and I had plans for it all being private(about a week ago) so if I kept it private I wouldn't bother asking, but I want to make it public, so yeah.

the mods name is:"Real 40K" another of those Closer to Codex mods

so far I'm done working with Orkz, I'm working on Chaos right now, and with permission I'd be putting vanilla Nids in(I really myself see no reason to tinker with them when I last played they were all good)
Emperor of Mankind
Spore Mine

Postby Zaha on Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:56 am

See, the thing is, you know what you intend on doing, but for the most part we do not. As such, there's a lot of information you hadn't really given us.

For example:
I think I mentioned what a combination mod was
Yes, but the issue is more that there's a whole lot of stuff that can be called a "combination mod".

The Combiner Mod is a combination mod, but it doesn't do anything other than tell the game to load up multiple mods at once.

A whole new campaign that uses races from two different mods would also be a combination mod, but that's something very different to the Combiner Mod.

A complete stat rewrite mod could also be a combination mod, and again, is very different to the Combiner Mod or a new campaign mod.

A tower defense mod could also be called a combination mod, and again, different to all of the above mod ideas.

Hence why that wasn't a sufficient description. Anything involving the works of more than one mod can be called a combination mod, but simply telling us "it's a combination mod" doesn't inform us of what you intend on doing with our mod. You see?

Similarly, this is also why I asked what you meant by "models", because it's entirely possible to use the models we've made and animated without using any of the code we've done which actually describes the units attributes - turning them into something entirely different to what we intend them to be used for. We don't approve of that except in very rare circumstances. Using our units however, is pretty much standard.

So when asking these sorts of things you need to provide more detail than just one or two words, and you also need to be a bit more specific.

the mods name is:"Real 40K" another of those Closer to Codex mods
Aren't there a few of these mods about though? I was pretty certain that there had been "codex" mods going on for years now.

---

Anywho, if you just want to use the race as we've written it, that's generally cool and you don't actually need to do anything to our mod to include it.

In your mod's .module file, where it says:
Code: Select all
RequiredMod.1 = DXP2
RequiredMod.2 = W40k

Just add a new line which says:
RequiredMod.3 = Tyranids

That way, so long as the player has our mod installed already, every time your mod activates it will also activate ours with it as an included race. Then you can just direct people to download our mod as well when they download yours.
Zaha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Emperor of Mankind on Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:12 pm

Since common sense despite the fact I stated what's being done isn't being used (no offense)

example:
See, the thing is, you know what you intend on doing, but for the most part we do not. As such, there's a lot of information you hadn't really given us.

I gave:
Firestorm over Kronus
Tyranids both in the same mod and Steel Legion
I didn't add the legion part there until now, but I did add the legion in my post...

Also, your Nids wouldn't meet up(they're capped, I'd need to uncap them with infinite units)

If you don't want your mod being used, I'll just scrap the whole project and use them in a private(for myself only) mod I never play online(to many competitive assholes on there)
Emperor of Mankind
Spore Mine

Postby Zoat on Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:42 pm

Zaha wrote:
In your mod's .module file, where it says:
RequiredMod.1 = DXP2
RequiredMod.2 = W40k

Just add a new line which says:
RequiredMod.3 = Tyranids

That way, so long as the player has our mod installed already, every time your mod activates it will also activate ours with it as an included race. Then you can just direct people to download our mod as well when they download yours.

Cool..i didn't know that was possible.. but cool! i have been thinking about maing some kind of mod myself.. but the problem is that i dont know a darn crap about coding or animating, or modding in general :lol:
so that is kinda hard.. but anyway.. Cool
My self definition:
I am a thought.
Something that isn't limited to the boundaries of the real world.
I am something that flows freely and is limitless,
but is imprisoned within the mind, and can never enter reality.

My opposite: a machine
Zoat
Hormagaunt

Location: In front of my computer, in a house, in a forest, at the end of a road, at the end of the world

Postby Zaha on Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:14 am

Since common sense despite the fact I stated what's being done isn't being used (no offense)
If someone asks for further clarification, don't just say "I've already said". Clearly, common sense would indicate the amount of information you gave initially was insufficient.

I gave:

Firestorm over Kronus
Tyranids both in the same mod and Steel Legion

I didn't add the legion part there until now, but I did add the legion in my post...
...If that's the only thing your mod does, then there's already several mods to do that.

For example:
Combiner mod for SS (1.0)

Would only need a single line of code added to include Firestorm over Kronus.

Also, your Nids wouldn't meet up(they're capped, I'd need to uncap them with infinite units)
And then clearly it isn't just a combiner mod, you are doing other things as well.

However, since you seem to be incapable of shutting up, listening to what's being asked, and then answering in a sensible manner, I'm simply going to say on behalf of the mod team:

No.

Locked.
Zaha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to General