A new Tyranid add-on for Firestorm over Kaurava

Here be mod discussions

Moderator: Moderators

A new Tyranid add-on for Firestorm over Kaurava

Postby und on Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:43 pm

Greetings Tyranid mod team,

My name is Andras and I am a big fan of the Tyranid Mod. I am also an amateur coder (via corsix mod studio) and have been involved in a few modding projects, but I haven't released anything spectacular (or... anything at all for that matter).

I am also a big fan of the Firestorm over Kronus mod and I would like to see the Tyranids as an extra race option within it.

So this is what it boils down to. I would respectfully ask for the permission of the Tyranid Mod Team's to use the Tyranid mod's art assets in an add-on mod for Firestorm over Kaurava.

Now, I know there was an other attempt to bring the Tyranids into FoK, but it was discontinued. I just decided to start from scratch.

To edify, I created a new mod which requires the installation of Tyranids vers.0.5b2 and DoW40K_SS in Soulstorm. I didn't plan to copy any art file inside the root directory of the add-on, keeping the inheritance to the Tyranid Mod. I started with the convertion of the the Tyranid mod's attribute files to FoK "code", a relatively easy, but lengthy process. Later on I would modify the AI and UCS as well. Sadly, I can't finish everything by keeping all art assets inside the Tyranid mod directory. This is why I kindly ask for the permission to edit certain UI files (such as the icons and the taskbar) and add them to the add-on's directory, to fit in with the general theme and style of FoK .

Currently the mod also lacks the new resource system of Tyranids. I might be pushing it here, but if given permission, I'd like to add relevant code/ui/scar files to the add-on's root directory to implement the resource system. If there is any other method to get around copying these files, I'd welcome the alternative. If not, I will likely keep the "requisition-only" system from the older days.

To sum it up, I am currently done with:
- Converting buildings and units, with relevant upgrades, weapons and researches to FoK "code".
- Editing certain icons to reflect attribute changes.
- Change the size of certain models through lua files to fit in with FoK ones.
- Modify the morale system to work similarly to the Instinctive Behaviour rules of Tyranids from the official table-top codices.

I still need to:
- Implement the resource system.
- Edit the AI.
- Edit the UCS.

I'll have an alpha build ready this night. To have a better overview of the add-on, I could post a link to it. Also, here is the link for the Firestorm over Kaurava mod:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/dawn-of-warha ... /downloads

(27th june 2014 build with its subsequent patch from 28th june 2014)

Lastly, if permissions are denied, I am to immediately cease any work on a public verion of the mod and promise not to release any internal and/or private builds officially and/or unofficially.

Thank you for your time,
Looking forward for your favorable reply.
und
Spore Mine

Re: A new Tyranid add-on for Firestorm over Kaurava

Postby Zaha on Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:59 am

Hrm, complicated. That's kind of sitting right at the line where we'd normally say no, but I'm not sure whether it crosses that line or not...

It would still require the players to have to install our mod wouldn't it?
I am the Border of Kaleidoscopic Logic
Zaha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby und on Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:08 am

Unless someone would like to play with a plethora of pink bad model bauxes or a bunch of missing pink icons... Then they could remove the " Requiredmod = tyranids " from the module file.

But in all honesty, my add-on's mod folder contains no .whe or .whm files, so I find it impossible for someone to enjoy the mod that way. I also emphasize on this "requires the installation of Tyranids vers.0.5b2", I want to work between the boundaries of permissons, not outside of them.

Regarding bits of the UI or the original resource system, I can keep on using the old requisition system instead, so I wouldn't touch that part of the code at all.

I am willing to cut out as much content as possible, as long as I can have at least a fraction of your mod in FoK to play with/against tyranids.
und
Spore Mine

Postby Zaha on Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:45 am

Okay, I'm cool with it I think. We'll need the other mod members to weigh in but I don't see them having too many problems with it.

Just so you know, the resource stuff is Miros' call to make because that's his code work. If he lets you use his code then you can move that across too.
Zaha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby und on Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:11 pm

AWESOME!

I worked some more on the add-on. Maybe I should have called it a combiner mod, because, well it mostly combines tyranids and FoK.

Anyway, I finished with most of the UCS. By tonight I'll definitely have an AI-less build available. Currently the build is less then 10 mb big :)))

It would be great to have the influence resource, but if Miros declines, I can manage with just requisition. Or maybe power too. I know it sounds unrealistic, but beggers can't be choosers. :P

I'll upload the alpha build tonight, right after I finished with the modified UCS, and you can have a look at it before giving the final "aye" or "nay".

Btw, I was wondering, I noticed Ultimate Apocalypse having both a Hierophant and Gargoyles. Is it their product? I noticed you guys having the gargoyle .whe and .wdm files, but since they aren't active in the mod I figured they are offlimits.
und
Spore Mine

Postby und on Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:34 pm

And here is the build.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/bfrtq ... ranids.exe

Yes, tiny build is tiny.

Don't forget to download Firestorm over Kaurava as well, from moddb.

Enjoy!
und
Spore Mine

Postby Miros on Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:43 am

Sure, no problem here. But are you sure you can't make it work without copying them over?
Miros
Mod Team
Mod Team

Postby und on Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:41 am

Yeah, I just checked Ultimate Apocalyse, and it seems they didn't copy the files either.

Not sure how they managed with the code.If I can't handle the code without copying the files, I'll just skip it and only stick to requisition.

Other than that, I am still unclear about the Hierophant and Gargoyle models. Are they the UA team's assets?

Aaaaand... did any of you tried the add-on? Give it a whirl? :D
und
Spore Mine

Postby Zaha on Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:02 am

I've been out of state for five days so I haven't been near a computer to actually try it, sorry.

Our mod does contain the model/animation assets for the Gargoyle, so likely that is ours. If memory serves, the Heirophant is UA's.

You might want to talk to the UA team (if you can) about how they did their code though. Might give you some ideas.
Zaha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to General