Sinblood's High-Def Model Textures (Zoanthrope, Carnifex)

Custom maps, colourschemes, etc.

Sinblood's High-Def Model Textures (Zoanthrope, Carnifex)

Postby sinblood on Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:41 am

Hello

I did this retex to learn how things are handled by DoW recently and want to share it.
So here it is:
http://www.mediafire.com/?mat577hqrszzckd

Enjoy...or not.
I've included WTP backup file in the archive. Just in case.
If the team is pleased with it and want to include it in their mod, please DO.
I'm just asking (and that's not mandatory in fact) a little space inside credit section of your readme and that's all.
I'll do probably some more retexture in a near future. Probably carnifex will be the next :)

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/289/2/c/little_devil_by_sinbl00d-d5hyxrs.png

Thanks for all your hard work by the way. Can't wait for the next beta ;)

Edit1: Carnifex is done (minus "rifles" bio weapons)
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d19/e-bride/40k/TeamColorExample.jpg
http://www.deviantart.com/download/338224798/carnifex_retex_by_sinbl00d-d5ldbxa.jpg

Get it here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/59hwhdai2 ... texture.7z
Last edited by sinblood on Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
sinblood
Spore Mine

Re: Zoanthrope retexture (maybe more to come)

Postby Gambit on Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:43 am

VERY detailed texture. Excellent quality !!! :D

And you say this is your ... first texturing attempt ?? :shock:
-In search of Papasmurf...
Gambit
Mod Team
Mod Team

Postby sinblood on Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:31 pm

Thanks!

No, that's not my first try at texturing. I did/do my "classes" with the elder scrolls: Oblivion/morrowind ;) I was talking about DoW itself as it obviously works (very) differently.

I would like to join. If the team is searching someone to help and as I found no recruitment topic, I directly PMed Zaha last monday but he didn't checked the forum since (afaik). Problem is that I won't be joinable for the next 2 weeks but I will still be able to work on something (carnifex for example) during this time. Hence my call in OP :)
sinblood
Spore Mine

Postby Gambit on Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:04 pm

No, that's not my first try at texturing.
I definitely thought so!!! The texture is WAY TOO good to be the work of an amateur!!!
Again, WONDERFUL WORK MAN :mrgreen:

I really hope Zaha to accept you in the team!!! ;)
-In search of Papasmurf...
Gambit
Mod Team
Mod Team

Postby ralph777 on Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:07 pm

One of the awesome texture. cool man'.. i hope you'll be accepted and re-texture the Nids because that's way too epic :mrgreen:

I hope you'll re-texture the Hive tyrant just like my profile picture, in more epic and detailed one.

DOW SS tyranid mod fan :D
ralph777
Ripper

Postby sinblood on Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:56 am

Thankies.

Zaha answered me and needs to talk about it with the team :)

@Ralph777: Well hive tyrant from DoW II is mostly done the same way as the citadel's model you know. I've took every references I can from GW and FW's sites (even their youtube video) ;) The model from Tyranid mod is very respectful of it's design, so the only barrier to get something close of what you're asking for are UVmap stretch/seam issues and my own skill limits. Though it will probably one of the last one of my 'to do' list because I still need to find an efficient modus operandi for texturing nids, and it only comes with xp :mrgreen:
sinblood
Spore Mine

Postby Reaper R66 on Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:13 am

I wasn't sure about the texture by looking at the screenshot, but after downloading the file and seeing it in-game... It looks really, really good.

I know you said you wanted to do the Carnifex next, but I'll be very impressed if you made the Lictor look something like that. :D
Reaper R66
Ripper

Postby sinblood on Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:39 pm

Carnifex is up, check first post.

@Reaper R66: Well, I am on the way to start trygon actually (my favorite units first :P ) though lictor definitely need an update...I'll try to work on both. If I don't then it will be the next retex after trygon ;) Lictor and brood lord were not very high in my 'to do' list because when they get stealth effect they are not that much visible on battlefield (obviously! XD )
sinblood
Spore Mine

Postby Reaper R66 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:27 am

@sinblood

Oh man I can't wait so see what you can do with the Trygon. :D
Also, fair enough with the Lictor and Broodlord.

I downloaded the Carnifex skin and found a few texture errors:

On the legs:

The Carapace:

And the Eyes:

Regardless, I really like your texturing style with the Tyranids (not to say that the originals aren't great). Keep up the good work! 8-)
Reaper R66
Ripper

Postby sinblood on Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:24 am

Thanks!

Dang, I forgot to talk about that. I am aware about those display issues, though they are not that noticeable when I play. Which texture settings do you use? Medium? I admit I haven't tested rendering other than on high only and high + with fullres team color enabled.

Little quick fix with the eye: you just need to lower very very slightly color intensity and problem should be gone.

Concerning legs and vents. I searched culprit cause quite some time and failed to find it. I thought it could be some "rebelious" pixels that were wandering on wrong texture part while setting up WTP but it seems to be something else *shrug*. Any hint is welcomed.

I watched very closely trygon's UV layout and I'm quite confident about providing a decent result. I'm just a little worried about some area (eg: ribcage) but nothing that can't be overcome. Too bad the mandibles are not present while the raveners possess a pair.
sinblood
Spore Mine

Next

Return to Fan Submissions