Re: 0.5b3 Coding Question

Postby Gambit on Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:01 am

Excellent.
-In search of Papasmurf...
Gambit
Gaunt

Postby Gambit on Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:49 am

OK, just wanna say that FreeUI is now perfect. And nigh finalised. NO flaws at all.

Tyranids 0.5b3 integration is perfect as well.
The race has seamless + flawless + highly optimised UI performance!!! Either stand-alone, or combined with other races everything goes smooth and by the numbers. 8-)

Reminder: Brothers Miros and Zaha, please do not perform any changes to the Tyranids SCaR file!!! Also, please remove that file, as well as the FreeUI files from the Tyranids mod, and use FreeUI as stand-alone requirement. This is the proper method, because I will be updating FreeUI constantly :D
Needless to say - whenever you want, just ask and I will upload my latest FreeUI build with all the fixes.
Gambit
Gaunt

Postby Zaha on Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:05 am

...Is that the split-mod version or the unified mod version? :P

...Although I suppose that actually wouldn't matter...
I am the Border of Kaleidoscopic Logic
Zaha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Gambit on Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:32 am

I am not sure I fully understand your question brother Zaha!! :P
So here is a better generic explanation from my part:
> Tyranids 0.5b3 must have the FreeUI mod as a separate mod requirement (as well as Objective Points mod, of course). And all taskbar-related files, already imported to Tyranids 0.5b3 MUST be deleted, as they will be part of the FreeUI project from now on. This way:
1] When you play Tyranids 0.5b3 stand-alone, thing will be perfect 8-)
2] When combined with other mods, things will be perfect too, as FreeUI takes care not only the superb new Tyranids Taskbar and its updated SCaR code, but all the other updated taskbars for all other mods as well :twisted:
3] Whenever an update is required for FreeUI, there will be NO impact on Tyranids, and any player that enjoys the Tyranids 0.5b3 (either stand-alone or combined), he will only have to download the last version of FreeUI, and will have 100% compatibility and seamless operation in all cases 8-)

So, all you have to do is remove the files from the project (I can tell you how - there is one line that must be added to the scarutil file to initiate freeUI). But it's VERY easy.
And of course, give me the permission to be the one responsible for updating FreeUI and the Tyranids SCaR.
The Tyranids SCaR is already optimised and updated as humanly possible as it can be so all good there, but there may be other races than need a unique taskbar, so FreeUI will possibly be updated more frequently!
For example, a couple weeks ago we added support for the RAGE race, thanks to brother Evil Isador!
Gambit
Gaunt

Postby Gambit on Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:06 pm

By the way brother Zaha, is there any chance to release the b3 in its current state?
I have enjoyed it too much, and it is MUCH MORE complete than b2, with tons of goodies and fixes. And of course, the totally new Taskbar/resources!!!

The only "serious" thing missing is a complete AI (the current iteration gives a CTD) - but if you want I can fully update the AI to be 100% functional.
Mind you, there are issues with the invisible builder concerning big gens construction, as well as other stuff related to its nature (like the sight range of 0), and I have created many new AI functions that override the CORE ones for a given race, and perform as desired.

In short, I can make the AI very nasty and efficient and error-free :twisted:

So in case you guys wanna go public, but the AI is the reason you delay publication, just let me know 8-)

I guess, since it will still be a beta release, it will still be OK... And the community will be pleased - I trust :twisted:

P.S.: The main reason I am asking, is because my fellow team members (Thud's team) are testing our WIP races via Unification, and they use Tyranids b2 in their tests as well. But since the latest FreeUI provides FULL support for the b3, and they of course do not have access to it (as I do), so they get errors and issues with the public Tyranids b2. :cry:
Just suggesting, and offering my help with AI - nothing more :D
Gambit
Gaunt

Postby Zaha on Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:39 pm

Right on the split-mod thing:

With the b3 release and onwards, we intend to split the Tyranid Mod into two component mods - one component being just the models, animations, sounds and FX as an art resource mod, and the rest of our mod as "The Tyranid Mod" which also loads up the art resource mod.

The reason I've asked Miros to do it that way is to shut down the ongoing "Can I use just your models in my mod?" questions and people stealing our work. That way art thieves don't have an excuse to not use the combiner method, and will start playing ball.

If the version you're working on hasn't been split that way, then we can't release it yet.
Zaha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Gambit on Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:27 pm

Aha, got it.

The version I am working on hasn't been split that way, indeed (it's 0.5b3.11).
So then, I will keep coding ONLY FreeUI updates upon that version, and of course wait for your official "two-folded" 0.5b3 release 8-)

At that release point we can talk again about the AI, and I can re-offer my support.

P.S.: For now, please let FreeUI and Tyranid SCaR coding to me brother Zaha. With the Help of brother Evil Isador, it's now perfected. So do not invest any time on the taskbar, it's already done!
Excellent.
Gambit
Gaunt

Postby Zaha on Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:04 am

Sounds good. :)
Zaha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Miros on Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:05 am

Hey guys, sorry for the long absence.

I'm happy to see Gambit has taken the reins of the UI coding, he's way more up to date with other mods than I could ever be. That said, if something ever changes in the tyranids.scar, gamescreen.screen or taskbar.lua regarding nids I'd like to know.

Regarding the split, I'll try to have it done by the end of this week. That means only some leftover Art issues remain, plus the AI (Oh! The AI). I have tried and failed quite a bit with the AI, so if Gambit can give us an experienced hand I'll be happy to focus solely on the art issues.

@Gambit: Something I realised while fighting the AI is that non-player contenders only get a tenth fraction of Souls/Faith of what a human player would get from the same resource rate, so you might want to run a check for that and correct it in the Influence code.
Miros
Mod Team
Mod Team

Postby Gambit on Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:49 am

Hello man :)

... if something ever changes in the tyranids.scar, gamescreen.screen or taskbar.lua regarding nids I'd like to know.
Well, I have greatly updated/optimised the tyranids.scar (and the FreeUI.scar, of course). The gamescreen.screen and taskbar.lua files are solely brother Evil Isador's terrain!
In other words, I have taken care of the SCaR, he is responsible for the Taskbar. And we cooperate/code excellently. That means that all bugs are fixed, and everything works like a charm.
(If you want to see my fixes lol, just browse this small thrad for my posts 8-) )
Note that MANY race mods also use a FreeUI profile now (Rage, Dark Angels, Thousand Sons, Alien Hunters, Chaos Daemons, etc.)
I can send you our latest FreeUI in no time of course.
It is just that brother Evil Isador is coding some goodies in the Alien Hunters profile as we speak :twisted:
Regardless, our current implementation provides a SEAMLESS Tyranids performance, so in case you want to perfomr the split, you should better be using our latest FreeUI.
Note: remember to remove the proper files from the Tyranids mod, so that the FreeUI to be a mandatory required mod.

Regarding the split, I'll try to have it done by the end of this week.
EXCELLENT!!!!

That means only some leftover Art issues remain, plus the AI (Oh! The AI). I have tried and failed quite a bit with the AI, so if Gambit can give us an experienced hand I'll be happy to focus solely on the art issues.
Well, I am currently deep into Alien Hunters, but hey - they are at least 6 months "away", while Tyranids are NOW!
So yes, LEAVE THE AI to me!!!
Once the split is done, we speak again :twisted:
Minor Note: I would prefer we should move some UCS lines (the taskbar-related) from the Tyranids project to the FreeUI project, because of some local warnings... Nothing serious.

@Gambit: Something I realised while fighting the AI is that non-player contenders only get a tenth fraction of Souls/Faith of what a human player would get from the same resource rate, so you might want to run a check for that and correct it in the Influence code.
But you have already fixed that!! There is a rule that increases the cpu tyranids rate.
But man, do not worry, I will thoroughly test (and fix if necessary), when I will be coding the AI.

P.S.: Just allow me sometime before all is done, because I am through some hard RL issues that require much of my free time - and ... steal some of my resolve dammit!!! :evil:
Gambit
Gaunt

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Support