0.5b3 Coding Question

Here be dragons

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 0.5b3 Coding Question

Postby Miros on Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:10 am

Hey, I think I have it done. But Gambit I'd need you to give me access to the latest FreeUI, since the one on RelicNews doesn't seem to have all the new goodies you mentioned here. This way I can test it and rest assured it's working fine.
Also regarding the line in scarutil.scar, are we free to put that in the Nid mod? Won't it cause overridings when loaded within unification? We need to call the code somehow though.
Aaand, any other fixes besides the inf income for quick play that I might be unaware of? (Just so the build I upload contains all the new fixes).
Miros
Mod Team
Mod Team

Postby Gambit on Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:42 am

But Gambit I'd need you to give me access to the latest FreeUI, since the one on RelicNews doesn't seem to have all the new goodies you mentioned here.
Yes, that is a HUGELY outdated version :twisted:

Also regarding the line in scarutil.scar, are we free to put that in the Nid mod? Won't it cause overridings when loaded within unification? We need to call the code somehow though.
Yes, the scarutil.scar in Tyranids (as with ALL projects that use FreeUI) will have to import the FreeUI code. And I have made it so in Unification (and all FreeUI projects so far), so the override of the scarutil.scar to work flawlessly!
Worry not, both stand-alone and combined with Unification, Tyranids will work 100% the same, and 100% seamlessly.

Aaand, any other fixes besides the inf income for quick play that I might be unaware of? (Just so the build I upload contains all the new fixes).
Well, there are many updates that I've made in order to optimise the code. For example, the SGroup of the builder is created only once. Moreover, there are small bits of updates here and there.
For example, the influence code that increases faith for the AI players is working perfectly - I also added a new function that properly discerns AI from human players in MP games as well.

...But brother Miros, there is a LAST MOMENT'S coding FreeUI update I am expecting from brother Evil Isador and it is about Tyranids!!!
I just sent him a PM, and he will upload the latest version ASAP.
Then, I will upload the FreeUI, the Tyranids.scar, the scarutil.scar and two small button textures I have created for the Hive cycling button, so that you test it.

So can you wait a couple of days? 8-)

Rest assured, the end result will definitely please you guys!

P.S.: There is some more "advanced functionality" that can be added to the Brain Button. For example, when you press it the menu opens, but if you re-press it id does not close. I have already added such goodies in Alien Hunters, so if you want me to add it in Tyranids, just say so :)
-In search of Papasmurf...
Gambit
Mod Team
Mod Team

Postby Miros on Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:41 pm

I meant AE-wise, I know the code has changed :)
Ok that's cool. Meanwhile I'll be fixing some of the stuff you reported to me last time.

As for the de-selecting for the brain button... I'm not sure. Clicking a selected unit in-game doesn't de-select it, so this seems conterintuitive to me. Let's see what others say.
Miros
Mod Team
Mod Team

Postby Gambit on Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:34 pm

I meant AE-wise, I know the code has changed :)
AE-wise there is no change at all. 8-)
After all, I do not have jurisdiction to perform AE changes !
Thankfully, there was none needed anyway.

... Now, the AI will require a couple small AE changes in order to work correctly... I will report anything needed - as well as all the required info - once we will start updating the AI :twisted:

Ok that's cool. Meanwhile I'll be fixing some of the stuff you reported to me last time.
Excellent.
I will upload FreeUI + a small easy Tyranids patch, along with a detailed log.
Worry not, I have extensively tested everything and heavily optimised the code - and brother Evil Isador has done marvels with the taskbar and the gamescreen.

As for the de-selecting for the brain button... I'm not sure. Clicking a selected unit in-game doesn't de-select it, so this seems conterintuitive to me. Let's see what others say.
Well you must see it for yourself - but in short, the first click on the brain button selects the invisible builder, while a second click selects the empty (dummy) SGroup, created for this reason.
Gambit
Mod Team
Mod Team

Postby Gambit on Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:09 pm

OK, brother Evil Isador was once again lightning-fast!!

Brother Miros, PM sent, with all necessary files and info 8-)
Gambit
Mod Team
Mod Team

Postby Miros on Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:12 pm

Ok! Tested a bit and it all seems to be working alright :)
I see you have changed the icon for requisition to that blue-border skull I made a while ago. We decided internally to keep the normal Req icon so as to avoid confusion for the player, so we'd rather it stayed that way. :P
BTW I had a look at the Nid code and saw some cool new stuff there, nice job Gambit!

AE-wise, what would you need to change? I'm asking so we can organize things better.

P.D. Still have to give a shot at those alien hunters, though! Can't wait :)
Miros
Mod Team
Mod Team

Postby Gambit on Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:46 am

I see you have changed the icon for requisition to that blue-border skull I made a while ago. We decided internally to keep the normal Req icon so as to avoid confusion for the player, so we'd rather it stayed that way.
I found it there, and I thought that it was created just for that (plus, I liked it a lot!). The new one is blue-ish, so I thought that this would not be something that would confuse the players - especially since a tooltpit can be VERY specific!
Extremely easy change, of course.

UCS
By the way, I suggest you should create a couple more tooltips for the caps... For example Monster Cap and Greater Monster cap or something. Since we DO have updated cap depicition in the Taskbar, I think we SHOULD remove that "support cap" notion :)
If you want, I can do that.

BTW I had a look at the Nid code and saw some cool new stuff there, nice job Gambit!
Thanks man!!! I tried to keep it down to the mandatory calculations only.

Brother Miros, it may not be immediately apparent, but there is a very big list of fixes, updates and optimisations everywhere 8-)
You have done a great job with the FreeUI project AND the Tyranids taskbar - it is an eye candy + VERY fluffy, I was mesmerised by it!

AE-wise, what would you need to change? I'm asking so we can organize things better.
Ah, nothing serious!! There is only one thing that MUST be done:
- You must give the builder entity the spawner_ext. The extension should be including NO squads of course.
Reason: The builder can spawn spores for later offensively DS them on enemies. But in order for the AI to do that, it NEEDS build channels. And for an entity to have a build channel is MUST have the spawner extension (otherwise all AI calls return a nil channel). I have already created an advanced AI code for this.
NOTE: Do not worry about adding this extension to the builder, and the result it would have on the Taskbar. I have already asked brother Evil Isador, and he has DISABLED the build icon from the builder - so the special build bar will remain intact :twisted:

- AE Optional1: Also I want to change some other stats of the global builder as well - I experimented with it and ended up with the most efficient and trimmed global builder config (both entity and squad rgds).
- AE Optional2: When taking over the AI, I will also have the chance to test the build. So I just need your permission to fix-on-the-spot, the issues I may find - with a COMPLETE log of changes, of course :mrgreen:

Still have to give a shot at those alien hunters, though! Can't wait :)
OK, just have a look at the SCaR and he AI there. There is... MUCH code! The SCaR alone has almost 20 functions, and 6 rules!
What is not fully integrated (AE-wise, because the SCaR is 99% complete), is their ability to unlock RACE-SPECIFIC researches, as they gather "artifacts and genetic material" from their fallen enemies. And I have created soemthing special for Necron Bodies on the ground and Chaos Daemons.
There is also a new resource with some digits I created - very neat!

P.S.: Without the help of Evil Isador, I would have achieved... Nothing. I did the SCaR, yes, but the WHOLE tasbar/gamescreen job was done by him (and we are talking MANY new FreeUI profiles!). We effectively split the workload, and I think the end result is nigh perfect :)
The guy is a real gentleman, and I am honoured to consider him as one of my friends. As with you.
Gambit
Mod Team
Mod Team

Postby Zaha on Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:46 am

Now I'm the one who has to apologise for disappearing. :P

How're we doing so far?
I am the Border of Kaleidoscopic Logic
Zaha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Gambit on Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:11 pm

Waiting for brother Miros to finish the last build, so that I can take over for the remaining AI fixes.
But frankly, I am also heavily preoccupied with some RL unpleasant issues, I also disappeared - for a while.
Gambit
Mod Team
Mod Team

Postby Miros on Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:16 pm

Yup sorry, I know it's always the same but it's being a tough semester (finishing off uni and started working at the same time so... yeah :lol: ).
Hopefully will be able to upload the version this weekend. Mind you that some things will still be pending fixes, but this way we can start advancing on the AI front.
Miros
Mod Team
Mod Team

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Support